Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Online shopping

Having posted a wishlist of items that I will have to purchase online...I decided to do a little post about online shopping.



I have always enjoyed the experience of shopping. I am very particular about the feel of the garments and so I never really paid much attention to the idea of online shopping.
I first got into online shopping when I lived in London, where the cold weather forced me in doors and I began to appreciate the advantages of online shopping.

Friends and Family have often asked me to give them links to my fav online stores so I thought it would be nice to share and also to share my experience - pro's and con's.

Pro's
  • My fav. online stores are interactive - the experience is like reading a magazine without paying the price
  • Fast access to trend reporting and visuals can inspire you to rework items that you already own
  • One can keep track of sale items without having to fight crowds to view the items
  • Turnover of stock on the sites usually occurs quicker than in the stores
  • Many labels available on one site (search costs minimised)
  • Not limited by your location
  • Huge sales and discount vouchers offered - which can offset shipping costs
  • Convenience of having items delivered to your door
  • I enjoy pondering over an item in my own time before I purchase 
Con's
  • The cost of shipping can be a turn off (esp. US based online stores)
  • You can never be quite sure of fit
  • You can't feel the garment
  • The shopping experience is taken away - stopping for coffee etc
  • Although returns are free on many sites - returning them is a mission
  • Waiting for your items to arrive

Links Fav. online stores (that ship to S.A)
Asos
Piperlime
lolly loves - SA based
The outnet

Inspiration
Net-a-porter - amazing weekly digital mag (every thursday)
Shopbop
Saks fifth avenue
Mr porter - I love looking at mens clothing - I often shop for t-shirts in the mens section of stores,

My experience
  • If you struggle to find jeans/trousers that fit you correctly - don't buy them online - i've made this horrible mistake
  • Shoes, shirts, tops, accessories are the best things to purchase online
  • Read customers reviews on items
  • Make sure you are using a trusted website- look out for the lock symbol or pay/pal credit card security symbols
If you're struggling to find something in stores - give online shopping a try!


No comments:

Post a Comment